Saturday, July 20, 2013

Welcome to the Cider House

I am an avid craft beer fan who has just discovered I am gluten intolerant. The symptoms had been mounting steadily over the last 15 years until I finally deduced that gluten was the culprit. Sad news for me. But when one door closes (e.g., the door to the exciting world of craft brewed IPAs), another one opens, and so I will document here my explorations in the world of cider. I've tried a few of the gluten free beers, and they're impossibly awful. Widmer's Omission line is the only real contender I've encountered, but it's still only as good as, say, the Full Sail beers, which have always tasted a bit artificially flavored to me. And so begins my search for a cider that is mature, dry, and as beer-like as possible. I'm really hoping to find something that is as complex and flavorful as a bitter, resinous IPA, and I will not rule out eventually trying to make my own. Here goes . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment